The overall strategy of our Meat & Seafood Departments is to offer customers the freshest, highest quality meats and seafood possible by focusing on sourcing naturally raised product from sustainable family farms and providing knowledgeable, friendly customer service. Our staff is passionate about the job they do and their relationship with their customers. Kowalski’s is one of the few grocers who still cuts 90% of the meat sold in the service case. This gives us the ability to create custom and specialty cuts at any time for our customers.
We're proud to offer a full-service meat department and seafood counter where the local butcher is your source for the perfect cut for that special meal. At Kowalski's, you're assured quality and service that is second to none. Kowalski's also offers a full line of prepared entrées and fully-cooked meat for your busy lifestyle.
Naturally Raised Standards
We source everything in our meat and seafood programs with one thing in mind: NATURALLY RAISED. This means no hormones or antibiotics are ever administered to the animals, humane treatment policies are in place, and the animals are sourced from small family farms and raised locally whenever possible. We choose naturally raised meats because we feel it is better for the animal, the producer and our customers, providing a cleaner, safer product that is superior in overall quality. This standard applies to all the products below:
- Kowalski’s Premium All Natural Prime Beef: Prime beef is the highest grade available. Our Prime Beef is all natural (meaning no added hormones or antibiotics – ever) certified Black Angus raised in Kansas. Only about 0.5% of all beef in the United States can claim All Natural Prime, and we are the only retailer in the Twin Cities that carries it.
- Kowalski’s Premium All Natural Choice Beef: Prime beef is sometimes considered a product for special occasions. Kowalski’s Choice Beef is all natural and a great choice for everyday meals as well as holidays and special occasions. Considered leaner than Prime, our Choice beef can be a healthier option while still offering outstanding flavor and tenderness.
- Kowalski's Signature 100% Grass-Fed Beef: Our Grass-Fed Beef is sources from sustainable family farms that raise their cattle on a 100% grass-fed diet. The cattle graze on open pastures and are never given hormones or antibiotics. It's naturally lower in fat and cholesterol, while providing a higher level of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Wagyu Kobe-Style Beef: Originally from Japan, Kobe beef is regarded as the finest beef available. Very high marbling results in an extremely tender, rich-flavored beef that is also higher in omega-3 fatty acids and lower in saturated fat than traditional beef. Other retailers carry Wagyu that is raised domestically with inferior genetics and feed. Kowalski’s Wagyu Beef is directly imported from Australia and is far superior.
- Lava Lake All Natural 100% Grass-Fed Lamb: Lava Lake Lamb comes from family ranches in Idaho with an unwavering commitment to land stewardship and sustainable practice. These ranchers never administer growth hormones or antibiotics to their lambs and allow them to roam over thousands of unfenced acres of mountain pastures with their mothers, consuming milk and grazing on fragrant wild green grasses, flowers and herbs. Lambs are raised and harvested during the spring and summer growing season, when they can graze as nature intended, ensuring the freshest product available.
- Gerber's Amish Country Farms Poultry: Gerber's chicken is raised and vegetarian fed by Amish families in Ohio. It contains no added growth stimulants or antibiotics – ever.
- Kowalski’s All Natural Pork: Our All Natural Pork is raised by Premium Iowa Pork, which is wholly owned by Lynch Livestock and the Lynch family. We have tested several different producers, and this was the best of the best. More importantly, our pork is raised with the strictest standards in the industry regarding growth stimulants, antibiotics, pesticides and animal welfare.
We also feature our own Signature Products line. These are items we have tested ourselves, and we are proud to put our name on them.