Kitchen Tips - June 2013
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013
- Trying to adapt a favorite recipe for a gluten-free variation? Try a blend of 1 part each tapioca starch, cornstarch and rice flour. For each cup of blend, add 1 tsp. potato flour. Alternatively, try a blend of 1 part tapioca starch, 2 parts potato starch and 6 parts rice flour.
- To properly use your thermometer, insert it in the center of the thickest part of your meat or poultry, away from bone, fat and gristle – sideways in the case of thin cuts or pieces. Test whole poultry in the inner thigh near the breast.
- Kowalski's biodegradable plastic bags break down and absorb into the environment without any toxic effects. They're a choice you can feel good about!
- Use sugary BBQ sauces after cooking or during the last few minutes of grilling time to minimize possible burning.
- When forming burgers, make the burger slightly thinner in the middle to account for the fact that burgers swell when cooking.