Signature Product Focus: Kowalski's Cheese
Posted: Saturday, March 1, 2014
Made locally, our cheeses are a quality product we're particularly proud to sign off on. A variety of popular cheeses, including shingled slices and brick-style chunks, are available as well as bagged shreds featuring popular cheese blends like Mexican, Italian 4-Cheese and Pizza. Crumble cups of blue and Gorgonzola cheeses and cups of shredded and grated Italian cheeses, such as Parmesan, are also available in the Dairy Department.
Kowalski's American Cheese Singles and String Cheese (made with Part-Skim Mozzarella) are also locally made – great for the kids!
6 tbsp. Kowalski's Unsalted Butter, divided
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tbsp. butter; add soup mix and cook until softened (about 10 min.). Whisk in flour while sprinkling it evenly over the melted butter; cook 1 min. Very slowly pour in milk, beer and broth, whisking constantly; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; gradually add cheese, stirring until completely melted. Stir in mustard and Worcestershire; season to taste with hot sauce, salt and pepper. Keep soup warm while heating the remaining butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak; sauté until steak reaches desired doneness (about 3 min. for medium). Serve immediately, garnished with pepperoncini or onion, parsley, red pepper flakes and Herbed Artisan Croutons.
Cheese Sauce: Tips and Tricks
Cheese sauce is made much the same way as this soup. Ever had a cheese sauce get grainy or curdled on you? Here are some tips for ensuring the smoothest cheese sauces (and cheese soups!):
Whether you are making cheese sauce or cheese soup, ensure a velvety smooth texture with these hints:
- Save bagged shreds for tacos, pizza, lasagna and salads, etc. Use whole brick-style cheese for sauces and soups (4 oz. of most brick-style cheeses will make 1 cup of shredded cheese.)
- In a hot saucepan, sprinkle 2 tbsp. flour evenly over 2 tbsp. melted butter.
- Use whole milk (not low-fat or skim). The fat will help stabilize the sauce.
- Warm 2 cups milk a little bit before whisking it into the flour-butter mixture.
- Add the milk slowly! (It's impossible to add it too slowly.) It will seem like you are making glue at first, but keep whisking and be patient. Eventually the milk ratio will smooth everything out.
- Simmer the milk mixture until it is very hot, but DO NOT BOIL the mixture, as the fat in the milk will separate; remove it from the heat to whisk in the cheese.
- Add 8 oz. shredded cheese slowly, stirring until everything is completely melted.
New at Kowalski's
Kowalski's Cheese Cups
Like all our cheeses, these spreadable cheese cups are made locally. They're a delicious option whether you're entertaining or simply looking for a Football Sunday snack. We have six great flavors (Sharp Cheddar, Horseradish Cheddar, Cheddar Bacon, Port Wine, Garden Vegetable and Swiss Almond) available in the Dairy Department.
Kowalski's Parmesan Shaker
All natural, locally made and so delicious you'll want to shake it on everything from pasta and pizza to eggs, burgers, vegetables, meatballs, potatoes, rice and so much more. Find it in the Dairy and Grocery Departments.
Also Look For:
It makes everything better! Our Signature Butter is made locally from just two ingredients: sweet cream and (in the case of Salted Butter only) salt. It's pure, sweet, rich flavor is just right for all of your favorite baking recipes, for cooking and, of course, it's pure perfection on toast! Find it in the Dairy Department.
Selection and availability vary by market.