- 3-4 lbs. pork shoulder roast
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Kowalski's Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups Mexican lager-style beer
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- - corn or flour tortillas
- - chopped onion
- - chopped fresh cilantro
- - lime wedges
Season pork with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add pork and cook, turning frequently, until browned on all sides (about 10 min.). Transfer pork to a platter; set aside. Add onion and garlic; sauté until softened (1-2 min.). Add beer, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Return meat to the pan; add orange juice and oregano. Cook, covered, in a preheated 350° oven until pork is very tender (about 45 min. per lb.). Remove pork from the pan and let rest on a carving board, covered with foil, 10-20 min. Coarsely chop or shred pork into bite-size pieces; moisten pork slightly with cooking juices. Serve immediately in tortillas with onion, cilantro and lime wedges.
Good to Know:
- If you don’t have a Dutch oven, you can use any oven-safe covered pot.
- You can also transfer the seared pork, onions and beer to a slow cooker with the juice. Cook about 5 hrs. on high or 10 hrs. on low.