Mexican Peanut "Salsa" (Sauce)
- 2 tbsp. kowalski's Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 dried árbol chiles, stemmed
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- - dash ground allspice, or more to taste
- - kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup refrigeratred creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup hot water, approximately
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar, to taste
Heat oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, chiles, thyme and allspice in oil until onion is very soft and light golden-brown (5-7 min.). Season with additional allspice and salt and pepper to taste. Process onion mixture with remaining ingredients in a food processor until very smooth, using enough water to reach desired consistency. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Find dried árbol chiles in the Produce Department.
- This sauce is great on grilled chicken, fish and seafood, in tacos or drizzled on nachos. Also try it on a burger or whisk with hot cream or half-and-half and toss it with pasta.