Tempura Pineapple, Zucchini and Red Onions
- canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup flour, plus extra for coating
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- - pinch salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 cup very cold sparkling water (approximately)
- 1 container prepared fresh pineapple spears, halved lengthwise
- 2 small zucchini, stemmed, sliced 1" thick
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled, cut into 1/2" wedges
Heat 2 1/2" of oil to 375° in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Sift 1 cup flour, cornstarch and salt into a medium mixing bowl; whisk to combine. Pour most of the water into flour mixture; whisk to combine, leaving some small lumps. Add water as needed to produce a thin pancake-like batter; set aside. Dredge pineapple in flour; shake off excess. Dip into batter and carefully place in oil to fry. Fry until golden (about 2 min.), turning halfway through cooking. Carefully remove from oil; place on paper towels to drain. Repeat dredging/frying process with zucchini, then onion, until all vegetables are done. When zucchini and onions are removed from the oil, season with salt to taste.
Good to Know: Find prepared fresh pineapple spears in the Produce Department.