Canned Jalapeño Salsa
- 3 cups peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups seeded, chopped jalapeño peppers
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 cup cider vinegar or bottled lemon juice
In heavy bottomed saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Pour into clean jars leaving 1/4" head space. Process in a boiling water canner 15 min.
Good to Know:
- It is safe to change the ratio of hot to mild peppers; just do not add more than 3 cups total peppers.
- The amount of onion may be decreased, but not increased.
- The amount of vinegar or bottled lemon juice CANNOT be decreased.
- The salt is present for flavor and can be omitted.
- It is safe to add dry spices such as cayenne pepper or hot pepper flakes if you wish.
This recipe is adapted from the Ball Blue Book, 1995.