Caramelized Banana Scones
- 2 bananas, peeled and chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, very cold, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, divided, plus more for brushing the scones
- 1 1/2 tbsp. tubinado sugar
In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, sauté bananas with butter and brown sugar until slightly caramelized and bananas are tender, but not mushy (2-4 min.); let cool to room temperature. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together next 5 ingredients, through sugar. Using a food processor or pastry cutter, cut butter into dry ingredients until butter is in pea-sized pieces; add bananas. In a small dish, whisk egg with vanilla, almond extract and 2 tbsp. cream. Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients; using a fork, mix remaining cream into dry ingredients a little at a time as needed until a soft but not sticky dough forms, just until dough is uniformly moist (there will be lumps). Move dough to a large sheet of waxed paper; use a second sheet of wax paper (not your hands) to pat dough into a rough square about 9" wide, taking care not overwork the dough. (If dough is very sticky, use a little bit of flour on the waxed paper.) Brush scones with a little bit of cream to moisten; sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Using a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut dough into 9 squares. Place 1 1/2" apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet; bake in a preheated 450˚ oven until golden-brown (10-12 min.). Cool on a wire rack.
- This is delicious served with ice cream and chocolate sauce for dessert.
- You can add 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or chocolate chips (or a combination) to the dough with the sauteed bananas, if desired.
- The scones may be drizzled with a simple powdered sugar glaze or drizzled with chocolate sauce. Try our recipe for Chocolate Whiskey Sauce or try Stonewall Kitchen Banana Chocolate Jam (in the Deli Department.)