Classic Eggplant Parmesan
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. Kowalski's Bold Italian Seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. water
- 3 lbs. eggplant, cut into 1/2" thick slices
- - Kowalski's Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 (26 oz.) jars Kowalski's Thick & Hearty Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- 1 lb. Kowalski's Fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced, torn into small pieces
- 6 oz. pkg. fancy shredded Italian blend cheese
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- - chopped fresh Italian parsley
In a shallow pan, combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs and water; dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat; working in several batches, cook eggplant slices until golden on both sides (8-10 min.), turning once and adding oil as needed. Drain eggplant slices on paper towels. Spread 1 cup pasta sauce in bottom of a 13x9" glass baking dish. Arrange half of fried eggplant slices in baking dish; top with half of fresh mozzarella and shredded cheese. Repeat layers with remaining pasta sauce, eggplant, mozzarella and shredded cheese. Bake in a preheated 400° oven until sauce is bubbling (about 45 min.). Let stand, covered, 15 min.; sprinkle top with lemon zest and parsley before serving.
Note: This dish can be assembled and refrigerated, covered, up to 24 hrs. before baking.