Baked Coconut Fish Bites with Spicy Orange Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup gluten-free panko-style breadcrumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 2/3 cup cornstarch whisked with 1 tsp. kosher salt and 1/4 tsp. freshly ground Kowalski's Black Peppercorns
- 3 eggs whites, lightly beaten, whisked with 1 tbsp. water
- 1 lb. tilapia fillets, cut into 1" bite-sized pieces
- - Spicy Orange Dipping Sauce (recipe below)
Mix breadcrumbs and coconut on a rimmed baking sheet; spread out and bake in a preheated 400° oven until golden-brown (about 6 min.). Transfer to a shallow dish; drizzle with oil and stir to combine. Place cornstarch mixture and eggs in separate shallow dishes. Working in batches, coat fish in cornstarch, shaking off excess. Dip coated fish in egg, then coat with panko-coconut mixture, pressing to adhere. Bake in preheated 400° oven on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper until fish is golden-brown and cooked through (about 10 min.). Serve with Spicy Orange Dipping Sauce.
Spicy Orange Dipping Sauce: Whisk 1/4 cup sweet orange marmalade with 2-3 tbsp. Thai Kitchen Sweet Chili Sauce to taste.
Note: This recipe may also be prepared with cod or chicken. For chicken, increase cooking time to 15-20 min. or until chicken is cooked through.
A note about gluten: This recipe is gluten free.