Traditional Basil Pesto
- 3 oz. fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- - kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste
Combine first 4 ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Slowly drizzle in oil through oil spout until mixture is glossy, very smooth and coats a metal spoon without running off quickly. Season to taste.
- Substitute another fresh herb (such as cilantro, oregano or Italian parsley) or spinach for all or part of the basil.
- Add drained sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, olives or artichokes.
- Use walnuts, almonds or pecans in place of the pine nuts.
- Try Asiago or Romano cheese in place of Parmesan.
Good to Know: Pesto may be covered with a thin layer of olive oil and stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Follow along with our step-by-step recipe video: