Pizza Blanco a la Thanksgiving
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for grilling
- 4 red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 3 balls (about 1 lb. each) fresh pizza dough (or thawed frozen dough)
- 16 oz. jar Pigtale Twist Ridiculously Garlic Blue Dressing
- 2–3 cups shredded roasted turkey
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups fresh baby arugula
- - kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
In a large skillet, heat butter and 4 tbsp. oil over medium heat until foamy; add onions, salt and pepper, stirring very infrequently until caramelized and crispy around the edges (12–15 min.). Deglaze pan with cider; stir in jam until melted. Remove from heat and set aside. On a generously floured surface, roll out each ball of dough into a circle about 16" across; begin in the center of each dough, working outward to the edges, turning dough to prevent sticking. Brush or tap excess flour from dough; brush one side with oil. Grill each crust oil side down on well-oiled grates of a grill preheated to medium-low until they are toasty and golden (2–3 min.). Brush second side of dough with oil and grill as directed for the first side. Spread about 1/3 of the dressing on each pizza; evenly distribute 1/3 of the onions, turkey and thyme on top. Scatter arugula on pizzas; drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
Good to Know: Kowalski's Fresh Pizza Dough is available in both the Bakery and the Deli Departments. Tiseo's Frozen Pizza Dough is available in the Frozen Foods Section.
Recipe courtesy of Meg Dehmer from Pigtale Twist.