Balsamic Berry Sauce
- 1 lb. strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered
- 1 pt. blueberries
- 6 oz. raspberries
- 6 oz. blackberries
- 1 oz. bunch fresh mint, tied together with kitchen string, some small leaves reserved for garnish, if desired
- 6 tbsp. brown sugar
- 6 tbsp. top-quality balsamic vinegar, such as Benissimo Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. Kowalski's Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
In a large mixing bowl, mix fruit and mint. In a separate small mixing bowl, stir together sugar, vinegar and pepper; pour over fruit; let stand 1/2-1 hr., stirring occasionally. Remove mint bundle. Spoon sauce over yogurt, cake, ice cream, Mini Pavlovas (pictured) or other desserts; garnish with mint leaves, if desired.
- After washing, allow berries to air-dry thoroughly before adding sugar and vinegar to prevent diluting the syrup.
- Flavored balsamic vinegars (such as blueberry, blackberry or fig) are good alternatives.
- Try basil in place of the mint, if desired.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Total Calories: 60
Total Fat: 0 g
Contains half a day's recommended allowance of vitamin C.