Good Foods For Good Health Chili
- 1 tbsp. Kowalski's Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef, cooked, finely crumbled and excess fat drained
- 15 ¼ oz. can low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz. can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 19 oz. can cannellini or Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp. chili powder, to taste
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
*A note about gluten: When using a gluten-free broth, this recipe is gluten free.
Heat oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat; add onions, pepper and garlic, cooking until soft and onions are translucent (6-9 min.). Add remaining ingredients except cilantro and lime juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, until beans are tender (about 20 min.). Stir in cilantro and lime juice; serve immediately.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
An excellent source of iron, folate, zinc, potassium and fiber. Also a good source of vitamins A, C, K and many B vitamins.