African Peanut Soup
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
1. Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 6 min. or until softened. Add garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and curry powder and cook for 1 more min. Stir in sweet potatoes, chicken broth and tomatoes, and bring soup to a boil. Simmer, covered, 10 min.
2. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp. of oil. Add the turkey and cook, breaking up any clumps with the back of the spoon for 5 min. or until the turkey is cooked through. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Drain on paper towels.
3. Whisk in peanut butter and coconut milk. Add cooked ground turkey, the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and brown sugar to the soup, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 20 min.
Excerpted from 300 Sensational Soups by Carla Snyder and Meredith Deeds. © Robert Rose Inc. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.