Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb. Grafton 2-Year Daisy Cheddar Cheese, grated (4 cups)
- - salt and black pepper, to taste
In large pot, melt butter over medium heat; add onion and cook gently until soft. Reduce heat; stir in flour and continue cooking 3-4 min. Do not allow to brown. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth and begins to thicken. Add broccoli, cayenne, mustard and beer; simmer until broccoli softens (5-8 min.). Add half-and-half and Worcestershire sauce; simmer 3-5 min. until broccoli is tender. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Recipe courtesy of American Country Cheese by Laura Chenel and Linda Siegfried.