Roasted Tomato Soup with Balsamic Cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1 tbsp. Gia Sundried Tomato Paste*
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 (28 oz.) cans Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- - Cucina Viva Classic Balsamic Cream*
- - fresh snipped basil
- - Parmesan Croutons (recipe below)
In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add shallots and tomato paste. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, until shallots are softened (8-10 min.). Stir in flour until thoroughly combined. Whisk in chicken stock; add tomatoes, stirring to combine. Simmer, covered, to blend flavors (about 10 min.). Pour tomato mixture into strainer over large bowl. Place solids in strainer in blender; puree until smooth. Return pureed mixture and liquid from bowl to saucepan. Add half-and-half and salt; warm over low heat (4-5 min.).
To Serve: Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls. Drizzle with balsamic cream; garnish with basil. Serve with Parmesan Croutons (below).
Parmesan Croutons: Slice 1 French baguette on the diagonal into 1/4" thick slices. Place slices on jelly roll pan; brush each slice lightly with Kowalski's Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Sprinkle with shredded Mountain Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake in a preheated 400° oven until browned and crisp (15-20 min.).
*Good to Know:
- Gia Sundried Tomato Paste comes in a tube, and can be refrigerated for future use.
- Cucina Viva Classic Balsamic Cream is available in the Grocery Department with the sauces and marinades.