Squash and Sweet Potato Soup Shooters
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 lb. sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp. ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 qt. chicken stock or broth, plus more for thinning the soup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- - freshly ground Kowalski's Sea Salt and Black Peppercorns, to taste
- - garnishes, as desired: fresh pomegranate seeds, pepitas, crème fraîche, sliced fresh sage leaves
In large pot, melt butter and oil over medium heat; add next 6 ingredients, through paprika. Cook until squash is slightly soft (about 15 min.), stirring occasionally; add stock. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until squash is soft. Add cream; blend in blender. Add additional stock (or water), if desired, to reach preferred consistency; season to taste with salt and pepper. Use a spouted pitcher to pour soup into 2-3 oz. shot glasses. Garnish individual servings as desired.
Good to Know:
- Ready-to-use peeled, seeded, diced squash and sweet potatoes and fresh pomegranate seeds are available in the Produce Department.
- Pepitas are available in the Bulk Foods Section.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
Total Calories: 57
Total Fat: 3.3 g
Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
Sodium: 26 mg
A single shooter provides 75% of your daily needs for vitamin A!
A note about gluten: This recipe is gluten free.