Even though we're 1,000 miles away from the nearest ocean, we are only hours away from fresh seafood. Kowalski’s seafood is the freshest in the Twin Cities, guaranteed! We receive daily shipments of seafood from around the world. Our main focus is to provide a wide variety of fresh seafood that is harvested from sustainable fisheries. We work very closely with the fishermen themselves to ensure that we receive the freshest, highest quality fish possible. Most, if not all, of our seafood is directly flown to our processor, resulting in fish that is 5-7 days fresher than what may be found elsewhere.
Kowalski's Seafood Department offers between 10-20 varieties of fresh fish daily and up to 40 choices in all. We can special order product and typically have it in under 24 hours for fish in season.
Skuna Bay Craft-Raised Atlantic Salmon
A Kowalski's Exclusive
Skuna Bay Salmon are raised off of Vancouver Island in British Columbia. Using farm-to-table, nonindustrial techniques with unparalleled concern for the environment and fish populations, Skuna Bay fishermen have a complete focus on quality every step of the way. This salmon is sold exclusively at Kowalski's and is the freshest, healthiest farm-raised product available in the Twin Cities.
- The salmon are raised in a natural ocean environment – not in a tank – in the glacier-fed waters of the Pacific Ocean with fast-flowing tides, cold, clear water and perfect salinity.
- Craftsman farmers live on the farm 24/7 and work daily to ensure these natural waters stay as pristine as when the farm was established.
- Our farmers are wonderful stewards of the ocean; once fish are harvested from a Skuna site, that ocean location is allowed to rest and regenerate before being restocked.
- Unlike much farm-raised fish, Skuna salmon live in a low pen density environment and eat a diet of fish (just as they would in the wild) as much as can be managed without putting undue pressure on other fish populations – and those fish are sourced only from 100% certified fisheries. Each salmon is hand-selected by an approved salmon expert, assuring that only the best make it into our markets.
- This is a domestic product, available fresh year round. Harvested to order, it's at least seven days fresher than other options in the industry.
• KOWALSKI’S WILD CAUGHT COPPER RIVER SALMON – Our Copper River salmon, available seasonally, is caught and provided by Mike and Nelly Hand of Drifters Fish. This husband-and-wife team from Cordova, Alaska, uses unique practices for catching and processing their salmon. Once caught, they keep the fish layered on ice while onboard to ensure freshness and a higher-quality product. While other retailers wait 3-5 days for their fish to be trucked from Alaska, our Copper River salmon is flown directly from Cordova to the Twin Cities.
• KOWALSKI’S ULTRA SHRIMP – Ultra Shrimp are sourced from farms in Thailand. Our shrimp are raised with no hormones or antibiotics, ever! Ponds are strategically placed within 3 hours from the processor, ensuring the freshest product available. Shrimp are cooked in the shell and it’s what gives them their brilliant color and sweet robust flavor.