Grilling the Perfect Chicken Breast
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010
For a quick, easy meal with an endless number of variations, grill boneless skinless chicken breasts. To keep them moist and juicy, follow the steps below.
- Rinse and drain chicken breasts under cold running water; drain and blot dry with paper toweling. If desired, marinate for up to 12 hrs.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Arrange chicken breasts on the grill grate all going the same direction.
- Grill 2 min.; using tongs, rotate breasts 45° and grill 2-4 min. longer. This creates a diamond pattern.
- Turn breasts with tongs; grill again rotating each breast 45° after 2 min. Total cooking time should be 4-6 min. per side.
- Generously baste with oil or melted butter, or marinate ahead of time to keep moist. If using a sugar-based sauce, apply on each side only during the last 2 min. of grilling.
Ideas for Grilled Chicken Breast
- Marinate chicken breasts in fajita marinade; cut into strips and grill with sliced onions and pepper strips for easy fajitas.
- Cut chicken into strips; add to crisp greens, your favorite veggies, cheese strips and hard cooked eggs for a nutritious Chef's Salad.
- Purchase Mango Salsa from the Seafood Department and spoon on top of grilled chicken breasts for a Caribbean entrée.
- Spread toasted hamburger buns with mayonnaise or aioli and layer with lettuce, tomatoes, red onion slices and grilled chicken breasts.
- Brush with BBQ sauce during the last 2 min. of grilling and top with Cheddar cheese and crisp bacon strips. Serve on a small hoagie bun.
- Layer toasted dark rye bread with Thousand Island dressing, grilled chicken breast, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese for a Rachel Sandwich.
- Season chicken breasts before grilling with Kowalski's North Woods Grill, Sonoma Valley Blend, or Chicken and Pork Barbecue Seasoning.