- 1 tbsp. plus 1/2 cup Kowalski's Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 cup Kowalski's Mirepoix
- 1/2 oz. Kowalski's Fresh Thyme, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 oz. Kowalski's Fresh Rosemary, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided, approx.
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- - kosher salt and Kowalski's Coarse Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add mirepoix and herbs. Cook until vegetables are soft (about 5 min.). Add lentils; cook and stir for 2 min. Add wine; cook until almost evaporated (4-5 min.). Pour in enough broth to cover lentils by 1"; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until lentils are tender (about 60 min.), adding more broth or water a bit at a time as needed to keep lentils barely submerged. Cool slightly; discard bay leaf. Purée lentil mixture with garlic cloves in a food processor; with processor running, drizzle in remaining oil through pour spout. Stir in juice; season with salt and pepper.
Note: Red or yellow lentils will work, too, but will require less cooking liquid and less cooking time.
Nutrition Information Per 1/4 Cup Serving
Total Calories: 162
Total Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 19 mg
Fiber: 3 g
A good source of vitamins A and K, folate and iron.