- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- - salt and pepper, to taste
- - Kowalski's Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to taste
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened (about 5 min.). Add rice and cumin; stir to coat. Add broth, oregano, salt and pepper; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer and cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed (about 20 min.). Fluff rice with a fork. Drizzle with oil and season with more salt and pepper to taste; toss gently to blend well.
- You can substitute another medium- to long-grain rice or brown rice in this recipe. Try other grains and blends as well.
- You can also use frozen rice; prepare it according to package directions before adding oil and other mix-ins.
- If desired, you can use water to cook the rice instead of broth. You can also try mixtures of stock and water.