Chocolate Cranberry Biscotti
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups flour
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- white chocolate, melted
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
- additional milk (as needed)
1. Lightly grease grease large cookie sheet; set aside. In large mixing bowl, beat butter 30 sec. Add sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder, beating until combined. Beat in eggs until combined; beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Stir in chocolate and dried fruit.
2. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a 9" long roll. Place on prepared cookie sheet 5" apart; flatten rolls slightly until 2" wide.
3. Bake in a preheated 375° oven until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (about 20 min.). Cool on cookie sheet 1 hr. or wrap cooled rolls in plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature.
4. Using a serrated knife, cut each roll diagonally into 1/2" thick slices. Place slices, cut side down, on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 325° oven 8 min. Turn slices over; continue baking until dry and crisp (7-9 min.). If baking slices after cooling rolls only 1 hr., you may need to bake 1-2 min. longer per side. Transfer to wire rack; cool.
5. Dip cooled biscotti in melted chocolate or icing (see below).
To make powdered sugar icing: In small bowl, mix powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir in additional milk, 1 tsp. at a time, until icing reaches drizzling consistency.
Recipe courtesy of Midwest Living magazine.