Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped Kowalski's Honey Toasted Pecans
- 2 tsp. Kowalski's Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 2 cups peeled, cored, chopped baking apples
- 2 tbsp. cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
- 2-3 tbsp. Kowalski's Pure Maple Syrup
In a small mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat softened butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed (2 min.). In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add flour mixture, alternately with sour cream, to butter mixture on low speed; fold in apples. Spread half of batter in a greased 13x9" baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the brown sugar mixture; repeat with remaining batter and topping. Sprinkle cold butter pieces over topping. Bake in a preheated 350° oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (40-45 min.); cool slightly in pan. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together confectioner's sugar and syrup; drizzle over warm cake. Serve warm.
Good to Know:
- Excellent varieties of apples for baking include Haralson, Cameo, Cortland, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Jonathan or Rome.
- For a do-ahead, assemble coffee cake the night before; cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator in the morning; bake as directed above.
Variation: Click here to view our recipe for Berry Streusel Coffee Cake.