Classic French Crêpes
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- - cooking spray
- - choice of fillings: yogurt, fresh fruit, preserves, thinly sliced ham, shredded or cream-style cheeses,
whipped cream, butter and (cinnamon) sugar, smoked salmon and crème fraîche, etc.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; add remaining ingredients all at once and whisk until smooth. Heat a 6-8" nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray pan lightly with cooking spray; wipe with a paper towel to coat pan evenly and absorb excess. Pour scant 1/4 cup batter into hot skillet, rotating skillet quickly to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. Cook until light brown at the edges and slightly dry (about 2 min.). Flip crêpe and cook other side until light brown (about 30 sec.). Repeat by wiping and respraying skillet for each crêpe until all batter has been used. Serve immediately with desired filling or keep warm in a 200° oven until all crêpes are done; placing waxed paper between each crêpe.
Follow along with our step-by-step recipe video:
Good to Know:
- Crêpes may be frozen for at least three months, tightly wrapped, with freezer or wax paper between crêpes. You can microwave individual crêpes without thawing them, about 20-30 sec. each.
- If you have two skillets, it works well to cook these two at a time.