Basic Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1/4 cup buttermilk powder
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- - pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup sparkling water, approx.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- - canola oil, for greasing the pan
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, buttermilk powder, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together water, egg and butter. Add wet mixture to dry mixture, whisking until just moistened and adding more water as needed to reach the consistency of a loose cake batter. Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with oil and heat to medium; wipe skillet with a paper towel to coat pan evenly and absorb excess oil. In batches, scoop batter onto skillet, forming 4-5" circles. Cook until edges are set and dry and bubbles begin to burst on the surface (2-5 min.). Flip pancakes; cook until golden-brown on the bottom (1-3 min.). Wipe skillet clean; re-oil, wipe and repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with desired toppings or keep warm in a 200° oven until all pancakes are done.
Good to Know:
- If desired, replace buttermilk powder and water with low-fat buttermilk. Find buttermilk powder in the Baking Aisle.
- Pancakes may be frozen for at least 3 months, tightly wrapped, with freezer or wax paper between pancakes. You can microwave individual pancakes without thawing them (about 1 min. each).