Tropical Coconut Rice and Black Beans
- 1 ¼ cups jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 30 oz. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- - grated zest of 1 lime
- - juice of 1 lime
- - kosher salt and fresh ground Kowalski's Black Peppercorns, to taste
- - garnishes, as desired: lime wedges, diced mango, sliced radishes and sliced jalapeño peppers
Cook rice on the stovetop according to package directions or in a rice cooker according to manufacturer's instructions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add red onion and poblano pepper; cook and stir until tender (about 5 min.). Stir in beans, chipotle powder, cumin and water. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 min. When rice is done, fluff with a fork. Fold in coconut, green onions, cilantro, lime zest and juice; season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve bean mixture over rice; garnish to taste.
- To toast coconut, bake in a single layer on a baking sheet until golden-brown (8-10 min.).
- This recipe is a great meatless main dish. If served as a side dish, it will serve 6 or more.
- You can use frozen rice in this recipe; prepare it according to package directions before adding oil and other mix-ins.
- If desired, you can use gluten-free chicken or vegetable broth to cook the rice instead of water. You can also try mixtures of stock and water.