2 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
2 onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock
8 oz. fusilli pasta
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 oz. ricotta
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with the back of a spoon until browned, about 5 min. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 min. Add garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook 1 min. more. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring another 3-4 min. or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
2. Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 30 min. Add pasta and cook for about 8 min. or until al dente. Stir in basil and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
3. In small bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
4. To serve, place a dollop of ricotta cheese mixture in each soup bowl; sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese. Serve hot.
Recipe excerpted from "300 Sensational Soups" by Carla Snyder and Meredith Deeds. ©Robert Rose Inc. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.