Potato, Carrot and Parsnip Soup
- 4 tbsp. Kowalski's Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 cup diced onions
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 4 carrots, peeled, sliced into 1/8" slices on the diagonal
- 4 parsnips, peeled, sliced into 1/8" slices on the diagonal
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk
- 3 large red potatoes, cut into 1/2" dice
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (optional)
- - kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped Kowalski's Fresh Italian Parsley, divided
- 1 tsp. chopped Kowalski's Fresh Thyme
Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms; sauté until golden (about 15 min.). Add carrots and parsnips; cook 10 min. Add broth, milk and potatoes. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally (about 30 min.). Purée half of the soup in a food processor. Return purée into the remaining soup in the pot. Stir in sherry, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in half of the parsley. Ladle into bowls; drizzle with remaining oil and garnish with thyme.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
Total Calories: 254
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 89 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Provides a full day's worth of vitamin A and is an excellent source of vitamin K, several B vitamins, potassium and fiber.
A Note About Gluten: To make this recipe gluten-free, use a gluten-free broth or stock, such as Kitchen Basics or More Than Gourmet Stock.