Makes about 16
1 pt. strawberries
2 (3.5 oz.) bars white, dark or milk chocolate
Wash strawberries; arrange on paper towels and pat dry. To temper chocolate, break up chocolate bars into small pieces; place in a microwave safe bowl, reserving several pieces. Microwave, uncovered, on medium power for dark chocolate and 20% power for white and milk chocolate until partially melted (2-3 min.). With an instant read thermometer, test temperature (90° for dark chocolate, 88° for white and milk chocolate). If it is warmer, cool by adding the reserved chunks of chocolate and stirring gently until it reaches the proper temperature. Hold strawberries by stem; dip into chocolate. Place on wax paper until chocolate hardens (about 20 min.).
Good to Know:
- To prevent chocolate from pooling around bottom of berry, dip each strawberry into chocolate, scrape bottom along edge of bowl and slide strawberry forward as you place it on the wax paper.
- To maintain the temper of the chocolate over an extended period of time, microwave in 5 sec. increments until back to temperature, being sure not to exceed the maximum temperature.
- Exceeding the maximum temperature will break the chocolate's temper and you will have to begin again.
- Tempering chocolate produces a glossy surface and a smooth texture when the chocolate dries.
- Tempering is not required when melted chocolate is used as an ingredient in a recipe or when using dipping chocolate.