1 ½ cups raw butternut squash, peeled and seeded, diced into ½" chunks or smaller
2 tbsp. Kowalski's Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
½ cup diced red onion
1 large jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely minced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. Kowalski's Chipotle Chile Powder
2 tsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. Kowalski's Dried Oregano
1 tsp. Kowalski's Ground Cumin
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. freshly ground Kowalski's Black Peppercorns
½ tsp. instant espresso powder
4 cups gluten-free chicken broth
28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
½ lb. Kowalski's Signature Kansas City Style BBQ Pulled Pork (from the Meat Department)
15 oz. canned Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed
- garnishes, to taste: shredded Monterey Jack cheese, finely diced red onion and fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Toss squash with about ½ of the oil.
- Spread squash in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet; roast in preheated oven until dark on the edges and just tender (about 20 min.).
- Remove roasted squash from oven; set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large, deep pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, jalapeño and garlic; cook until soft and onions are translucent (6-9 min.).
- Add next 8 ingredients (through espresso powder); cook and stir until fragrant (1-2 min.).
- Stir in broth.
- Add roasted squash and next 4 ingredients (through corn); bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, until beans are tender and stew is thoroughly hot (about 20 min.).
- Serve individual servings with garnishes as desired.
- When in season, use fresh sweet corn in this recipe rather than frozen.